Planning & Zoning

Zoning Administrator

Brandy Miller
Phone: 517-281-5659
Fax: (517) 645-7810

What is Planning & Zoning?
Planning and Zoning is a way for a community to envision its future; what it will look like, where things will be located, how it will function, and when and where changes will take place.  A community defines itself through planning and zoning, both short and long-term. Planning and zoning is not self-correcting; instead it is a successive cycle of planned strategies and actions set forth to meet certain goals. For planning and zoning to be effective, policies must be constantly analyzed, monitored and revised to adjust to an ever-changing environment and society.

Planning and zoning is a multi-step process that includes identifying problems or goals, analyzing the existing conditions, developing a process to achieve the desired results, monitoring its progress, and constantly adjusting policies. Critical components of successful planning and zoning include setting reasonable objectives and designing ways to accomplish them.

Zoning Administrator:

The City of Potterville Zoning Administrator is charged with the responsibility of administering the Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Administrator works with City Council, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, the private sector and special interest groups, other municipalities, and the citizens of the City of Potterville to develop goal-oriented strategies.

The City of Potterville’s Zoning Administrator is Brandy Miller.  Brandy Miller works as a part time employee for the City of Potterville.  She is available between the hours of 5:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  Brandy is available schedule appointments during the day as needed and available by phone 517-281-5659 or e-mail 

Zoning Codes, Plans and Applications: 

City of Potterville Zoning Ordinance
City of Potterville Zoning Map
City of Potterville Master Plan

Cambria Ridge Site Condominium Plan 

Zoning Referral Application:  This application is used when you would like to construct a house, addition (including second story), deck, shed, fence, or accessory building.  A Zoning Referral IS NOT a building permit.  The Zoning Administrator will advise you if your proposed project requires a Building Permit.  Building Permits are obtained through Eaton County Construction Codes Department. 

Driveway, Right-of-Way, and Sidewalk Application: This application is most often necessary to perform work or activity in or around public right-of-ways such as when homeowners and/or their contractor is replacing or installing a new driveway that connects to a public street or approaches a public easements/utilities. 

Water, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Drain Application : This application/permit is required for any and all connections to municipal public utilities and  does not include the “Tap Fee” for water/sanitary sewer connections that are determined by water meter size. 

Zoning Board of Appeals Application: This application is used if your proposed project does not meet the requirements of the Zoning District your property is located in (setbacks to property lines, size of structure, property width or depth, number of parking spaces, etc.).

Site Plan Review Application:  This application is used when required by the Zoning Ordinance for uses of property that require potential further review of the City of Potterville Planning Commission.

Special Use Permit Application:  This application is used when required by the Zoning Ordinance for uses of property that require the approval of the Planning Commission prior to the proposed use.

Amendment Application: This application is used to amend the text of the Zoning Ordinance or to change the zoning of a property.

Land Division / Combination Application: This application is used to divide land into to two or more parcels without creating a platted subdivision (Division); or to combine two or more parcels that are contiguous and under the same ownership (Combination).

Lot Line Adjustment Application: This application is used to adjust the property lines of two or more contiguous parcels.

New Plat Application: The application is used to create subdivisions.